- Investing in Portugal
- About Us
Building with 397 sqm total area, for sale, in Benfica More details coming soon.
Benfica is a parish of Lisbon that is home to about two-thirds of the great lung of the Portuguese capital, the Parque Florestal de Monsanto. Benfica began as a country village.
In the 15th century, it was made a Lisbon judicial district with two private judges. Three brotherhoods also settled here at the same time: Nossa Senhora do Amparo, Santo António and São Sebastião. When the Lisbon judicial district was abolished in 1852, Benfica became part of the new municipality of Belém, and then in 1886 it was split off. The part outside the new Lisbon ring road became part of Oeiras (and now Amadora), while the part inside joined Lisbon, giving rise to the current parish. The city continued to grow, which is reflected in the increasing urbanisation of the parish. The population tripled from 17,843 to around 50,000 between the 1950s and the 1990s. The territory was divided again in 1959 with the creation of the São Domingos de Benfica parish.
More recently, although there are more buildings, the resident population is shrinking because of ageing and the migration of the younger inhabitants to the periphery.