- Investing in Portugal
- About Us
91-hectare estate in São Teotónio municipality, Odemira County, Zambujeira do Mar.
This property has a total open area of 91 ha, and a ruin with 370 sq m of gross private area.
Total built area: 368 sq m (ruin)
– There is a well
– Fed by different water sources in the Mira area
– View over the countryside
Vila Nova de Milfontes is a civil parish in Odemira, district of Beja, on the north bank of the mouth of the River Mira. It is in the Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina Natural Park.
The parish covers 75.88 sq km and has 5,031 inhabitants (2011). There are about 65.9 inhabitants per sq km.
At the end of the Christian reconquest, the Alentejo coast was a sparsely populated and disorganised part of Portugal, so the King Afonso III made large donations to the Order of Santiago as a reward for its important role in the war against the Moors. King John II founded a new village in 1486 at the place called Milfontes to protect and develop trade.
He annexed this from the municipality of Sines, to which it had previously belonged, and created a new municipality that existed from 1486 to 1836.
Vila Nova de Milfontes was once a small fishing village, and as a county seat it was never very attractive (in 1801 it had only 1,559 inhabitants). It ceased to be the county seat in 1836 when it was incoporated first into the county of Cercal and then in 1855 into Odemira, to which it still belongs to today. The area has some heritage, namely the Fort of São Clemente and the Castle of Vila Nova de Milfontes, the surrounding natural park and the parish church: The Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça (Vila Nova de Milfontes) and the São Sebastião hermitage (Vila Nova de Milfontes), as well as its beaches (Malhão, Cruz and Aivados).